Since several of you have asked, here is our bread recipe! It’s actually adapted from the recipe book that came with our bread machine, but I have made a couple changes. Also please note that this recipe is to be used with a bread maker.
For a 2 lb loaf, layer these ingredients in the loaf pan that goes in your machine. Put them in in this order – first ingredient goes in first, at the bottom; last ingredient will be on top.
- 13 fl. oz. water/milk combo – I usually do 7 fl. oz. milk and the rest water. I usually do more like 13.5 fl. oz., airing on the side of moist rather than dry.
- 21 oz. whole wheat/bread flour combo – I measure about 14 oz. whole wheat flour and 7 bread flour. This will take some playing with to see how best you like it. The actual recipe calls for all bread flour, which makes for a very pretty and fluffy loaf, but we find this to be too airy for us. We prefer bread to be a bit more dense. And you’ll notice in the photo that this flour combo doesn’t yield a perfect looking loaf, but we prefer taste to looks.
- 2 t. salt – We use sea salt.
- 1 T. honey – You could use sugar instead.
- 1 oz. butter, cut into 8 pieces
- 1 t. active dry yeast – Just a note: I find it cost-effective to buy yeast in bulk. I bought mine via Vitacost, but you could also try Costco or Amazon.
Here are some photos of our bread loaves. The one less risen was made with the flour combo described above. The one completely risen had 1/3 whole wheat flour and 2/3 bread flour instead of visa versa.
Our bread machine: DeLonghi Bread Maker. It was a pretty sweet gift! I am sure you don’t need one this fancy, but we do love ours! And I use it about twice a week. We no longer buy bread! This machine is super easy to use and a money-saver for us. No complaints.