The other night I made these delicious zucchini boats, and I’m super excited to share them with you! Not only are they loaded with healthy goodness, but they are also yummy and super easy to make!
One of my favorite things about these is that there are soo many variations you could make. Because of this, I wasn’t even planning to post the recipe, but after posting a photo on Instagram and Facebook, I had so many people ask for one that I caved. Feel free to add, leave out, and add to my ingredients below.
Serves 3 people
3 zucchini, halved length-wise (I made 3 for my husband, toddler, and my pregnant self, and it was more than enough!)
1/2 lb Ground Italian sausage
1 tomato, diced
A bit of onion, diced (I already had mine mixed into the Italian sausage from another recipe, but I’d say 1/4 c.)
1 c orzo pasta
1/4 c Parmesan
1/4 c (or less) mozzarella
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Cook orzo. (Note – You cook it like pasta, not rice. Don’t be fooled.)
3. While the orzo is cooking, cook Italian sausage. Browned but mostly cooked is great.
4. Halve the zucchinis lengthwise if you haven’t already. Then use a spoon to hollow them out. You’ll remove most of the flesh, but don’t make them too thin. Here you could totally save some (not all!) of the inside for stuffing, especially if you don’t have enough of the other ingredients. In my case though, the chickens got the zucchini flesh.
5. Mix diced tomatoes, onion, Parmesan, salt and pepper in a bowl. Add in the orzo and Italian sausage as they finish cooking.
6. Stuff the zucchini boats with this mixture.
7. Top with mozzarella.
8. Bake at 350F for 15 minutes.