This pregnancy I gave up black tea, aka iced tea and chai tea lattes. This is killer for me because I totally drank it daily, AND other than milk and water, that’s really the only thing I drank. So mid-pregnancy, I realized I was not only lacking in caffeine (killer – and let me tell you, caffeine is necessary when you already have a child!) but I was also lacking in variety. So I’ve compiled a list of some great pregnancy-friendly drinks that I’ve been loving in hopes they may help you too!
1. Pregnancy tea – I drink this kind: Traditional Medicinals Organic Pregnancy Herbal Tea The blend of herbs is meant to prepare your womb and uterus for childbirth and to help you maintain a healthy pregnancy.
2. Red raspberry leaf tea – Traditional Medicinals Organic, Raspberry Leaf This tea tones the uterus, preparing it for childbirth. It can actually be used for menstrual cramping as well. Personally, I can drink this tea through out pregnancy, but I have many friends whose midwives and OBs have told them to wait until after week 34 because it brought on contractions. So discuss this one with your care provider.
3. Iced tea, using pregnancy tea and red raspberry leaf tea – I make a large batch of tea using the two teas above, and then drink it as iced tea. The flavor is a little different, but when I add ice and lemon, it still hits the spot. See my notes about red raspberry leaf tea above.
4. Homemade chai tea lattes, using pregnancy tea and red raspberry leaf tea – I use this recipe and just sub in the teas mentioned. See my note above about red raspberry leaf tea.
5. Watermelon lemonade – Check out my recipe. It’s a summertime favorite.
6. Pineapple Coconut Water - I mix pineapple juice and coconut water. I usually do 1/3 coconut water and the rest pineapple, but make it to your taste. It’s good stuff and very hydrating!
7-9. Prego-friendly Starbucks drinks:
- Shaken iced green tea – Surely it’s just green tea right? All I know is that I’ve tried making it at home, and it just isn’t the same. Theirs is good stuff.
- Green tea lemonade – I’m sure this is a summertime special. I admit that I have not tried it, but I really want to!
- Pineapple coconut water – Yep, they actually sell a version of what I mentioned above. But at close to $5/ bottle, I decided to make my own! Still, if you have a Starbucks date, look for it. I found it in Colorado… I haven’t seen it in Texas.
Do you have any great pregnancy-friendly drinks you love? Please share!